Monday, April 20, 2015

Earth Day Natural Lip Balm Recipe

Time for an admission: I am a lip balm fanatic. If I were forced to choose one desert island skin care item, it would be lip balm. I can't stand for my lips to feel dry or chapped, so I have varous tubes of lip balm stashed all about my house, office, car, and handbag. I've tried a lot of brands, but I always come back to handmade. There is just something about the quality of the ingredients that sets handmade lip balm apart from shop brands.

I can't think of a nicer way to celebrate Earth Day than producing something as lovely as lip balm with wonderful, all-natural ingredients. This balm works best in twist up tubes, as it is quite firm. If you wanted to make a softer balm for packaging in pots, increase one of the liquid oils by about 3% and reduce one of the butters by the same amount. Ingredients

Ingredients marked with a shopping basket icon are available to purchase at Gracefruit, please click the name of the ingredient marked with the shopping basket icon to visit the corresponding product page.

  • 30% Cherry Kernel Oil
  • 23% Beeswax
  • 15% Cocoa Butter
  • 10% Mango Butter
  • 9% Aloe Butter
  • 6% Avocado Oil
  • 3% Plum Kernel Oil
  • 2% Vitamin E
  • 1% Squalane
  • 1% Peppermint Essential Oil

Directions

  • In a pyrex or microwave-safe container, melt the beeswax with the liquid oils. I do this is 2 minute intervals to avoid anything boiling over or burning. Once the beeswax has melted, add the butters and stir until they've melted, too. They may melt rather slowly, but it's important to add the butters this way so that your lip balm doesn't become grainy later.
  • Once the butters have melted, add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Once everything is incorporated, your balm is ready to go into the containers.

No comments: